Welcome again to our Techno Tips section for Teaching and Learning English.
Today, we’d like to talk about this very specific topic that gives almost everyone A hard time when trying to improve…Vooooocabulary.
One of the hardest challenges when you are learning a language is improving your vocabulary in an effective way. One thing is listening to the teacher in class, taking notes and going home completely convinced that you understood and actually memorized all that new vocabulary and next day noticing you don’t even remember 3 of those words ; another completely different thing is, using some nice techniques to build and use new words accurately without forgetting any of them.
First, let´s remember some classic tips to improve your vocabulary:
- Keep reading! Context will help you understand most of the times. The more words you’re exposed to and look up, the better vocabulary you will have.
- Repeat, repeat, repeat! As soon as you learn a new word, repeat it as many times as possible to memorize it and start using it in your daily conversation.
- Get in the habit of looking up words you don’t know. If you have a dictionary program on your computer or cellphone, keep it open and handy.
- Use vocabulary lists and make as many associations and connections as possible.
- Take vocabulary tests. Playing games and testing your knowledge will help you learn new words and also let you know how much progress you’re making.
Now that you know some useful tips, we want to show you some techno tools you can use to improve your vocabulary skills even better.
If you are into design and creativity, you can use Google Drawing, to type, decorate and shape some words, however, you want to keep them in your drive as a reminder.
Also, iPad users could use the free app PicCollage to make their vocabulary words come alive.
Go Play Our Vocabulary Games, there are many interesting sites as:
- http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games_vocab.htm features a variety of games for different grade levels.
- http://www.wordle.net/ is a free Web application that allows you to create a word cloud based on the frequency of words in a particular text.
- http://www.vocabulary.co.il/ a leading vocabulary website worldwide with the best flash online word games.
- The vocabulary games include an online word search, an online crossword puzzle, and hangman online
- Lexipedia A very nice multi-lingual visual dictionary that creates a word web and defines words based on parts of speech. Use the toolbar bookmarklet for convenience.
- Visuwords Look up words to find their meanings and associations with other words and concepts.
- The Visual Dictionary This tool uses photographs of words in the real world to visually explore them.
For more info, follow the links below: